Sunday 23 September 2012

Homemade Apple Jam #SundaySupper


Autumn is always my favorite season of the year, even though I am not living in a country that have four seasons.  It could be I was born during the autumn and that reason for me to  a have special affection with autumn.  Just celebrated my birthday yesterday and this was the first was done in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. 

This week the #SundaySupper group is coming up with Autumn Apple Party to welcome the fall season of the year.  Hosted by our team member Cindy from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings.  There are more than 50 wonderful recipes using apple will be shared during this party and this is going to be an exciting one!

This is my first experience that I have do my "assignment" for #SundaySupper on my birthday and I challenge myself to bring Homemade Apple Jam to the party, as I never tried to make them before.   Simon and myself love bread with spread all the time.  Butter and peanut butter were always our normal choice.  There is a day he did mentioned he likes fruits jam too. It's straight away strike on my mind to try it out!

I love any pastry that goes with apple, especially those with cinnamon combination is one of my favorite too.  So, cinnamon will not missed from my jam.  I simmer it with low heat about 30 to 40 minutes.  To my surprise, it only takes me about an hour plus to prepare the whole process.  The result turns out good - looks good, taste good and am sure will make some more soon.  Good news is, after this experience, I will not have to buy fruit jam from the store!


INGREDIENTS

6 medium size of apples (2 will be used to blend juice)
500gm of sugar
2 cinnamon stick
2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 tbsp lemon juice
200ml water
(The above ingredients yield 1 medium size terrine jar as shown in my picture)

DIRECTIONS

1.   Wash, peel, core and dice the apples.  
     (Tips - to avoid the apples to turn black, you may use pinch of salt or a tsp of lemon juice
      to be added in the water to soak the apples.)


2.   Use a blender to blend 2 apples with 200ml water.
3.   In a pot, combine the blended apple juice, sugar and cinnamon sticks and let it cook to
      boil.

4.   When the syrup is boiling, add in the balance of 4 apples and continue to let the apples to
       simmer with low heat about 30 - 40 minutes until a thick consistency.


5.   Stir occasionally to prevent scorching.
6.   When it's done, add the lemon juice and ground cinnamon and mix it well.  The jam
       should be thick and easily to spread. 


7.   Switch off the heat and let it cool completely
8.   Fill it in a sterilized jar and store it in the fridge.  It will store for a few weeks.









Here’s our Autumn Apple Recipes coming this Sunday, September 23!

67 comments:

  1. I'm all for homemade jams and your apple cinnamon lemon concoction sounds amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn is my favorite season too. I now live on the coast and we don't get much fall color, so we always take at least one road trip in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice to organize a trip during fall. Wish I could do the same too!

      Delete
  3. Yum - this sounds delightful for spreading on toast or bagels in the morning! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not made any jelly or jam yet. This one looks so easy and is inspiring me to make some for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum this looks so good. I love jams and jellies, I've never made my own but will definitely be adding it to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Homemade jams are the best. This one sounds fantastic Faye and the color is wonderful! Have a great sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paula! I never expect its turn out good as this is my first experience. Satisfied!

      Delete
  7. This jam looks amazing. I love that it's so versatile and can be used on just about anything, sweet or savory. Happy #SS and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Come...we have it together! Thanks for hosting such a great #SS!

      Delete
  9. This would be awesome on so many things! This one is a keeper Kota!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to start making jam! Thank you for showing me how to do this! I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Need some right now to spread on my toast!!Looks absolutely delicious and I love the consistency too :)Lovely recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. it looks so thick and rich - just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful jam recipe. I bet this would be great on toast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure it could store for a couple of weeks--but I doubt it'll last that long!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your apple jam looks so fabulous! I need to try making some at home, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just finished making apple butter when I saw this recipe! Looks like I need to get started on a batch of this jam!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday! This jam looks so fresh and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OOh, will make this ! Looks so easy and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Until I married into my husband's family I never made jam. His mum has been making jam forever and all of his siblings, especially his brother are die hard jam and chutney makers. I have decided to venture into making it this year and I am both nervous and excited at the idea. This recipe looks so simple I might use it as a basis for my first batch. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can do it, I am sure you can too. Give it a try, Laura. Impress them with your work. All the best to you!

      Delete
  20. My mouth is watering. This jam looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just like you when I am cooking it. Thanks Linda!

      Delete
  21. WOW, your jam looks incredible! I love how simple it is to make this, and I bet it's a thousand times better than anything you can buy in the store. Happy birthday, once again. I'm sorry you had to work on this on your birthday but at least you got a delicious jam out of the experience! I hope you didn't have to lift a finger the rest of the day ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! Indeed this was a good experience for me and I definitely will not buy jam from the store anymore!

      Delete
  22. WOW this looks great! Will you send me some to FL ;) My Grammy always made homemade Jams & Jellys for us and Apple was my favorite. She always joked that she would take her recipes to her grave and after she passed unexpected, she held her word. I cannot wait to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear about your granny. You should create your own jam recipe then. Thanks for dropping by, Megan!

      Delete
  23. Can you send me some over for my toast in the morning please!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have seen apple butter, but not apple jam before. This sounds amazing!! Hope you had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I bet this apple jam tastes divine. I pinned this recipe to my Fall Food board so I can make it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this! I just bought my first canning jars, I'll have to put this on the list! I don't think it will last long in my fridge! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prepare more ingredients to make more....:D All the best to your trial!

      Delete
  27. This looks so easy and delicious! Plus I love toast! Can't go wrong with this combo!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, I never thought of making apple jam...but it looks SO tempting on your bread! So much inspiration with this #SS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Liz....looking forward to the next #SS!!

      Delete
  29. I would eat this breakfast everyday. Now I need to make it so I can. And I know my son would love it too. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe Leong!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you Sarah! I am glad you like the recipe. Yes, i am sure the young one will love it. You wont believe it, we have just finished ours:D

    ReplyDelete
  31. This would be a hit in my house! I also think this would make a perfect homemade food gift to give during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a great and easy recipe I think I will try!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi, Faye! Happy to find your blog through your Twitter follow (following you back now!) and just in time for this lovely apple jam. It looks delicious! I am so jealous of you, living in Malaysia! We were in Kuala Lumpur for 8 years before this most recent move to Cairo and I miss it SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the follow back Stacy! Glad that you like the apple jam. You must try it out. Good to hear that you were in Kuala Lumpur for 8 years, you must be familiar by now. I missed KL too as I have just moved to Sabah last December. My family are still there, so, on and off I will still go back to KL to visit them. Hope to know you Stacy! Have a great day!

      Delete