Sunday 6 October 2013

Claypot Braised Tofu #SundaySupper


Happy Sunday everyone!  Glad I am able to join the #SundaySupper again!  This week theme is One Pot Recipe and this event is host by Amy Kim from Kimci Mom.  

Even though I am not living in a country with four seasons but I know the weather is going cooler towards the end of the year at most of the countries especially to most of our #SundaySupper members.  The kitchen chief at home of course will start cracking their head what kind of comfort food to ward their family members.  So, you must not miss this week #SundaySupper event that will give you a long list of easy-to-make-recipe - One Pot.  What's more convenient cooking ways that just need to put everything in a pot?

I have chosen a claypot as my main cooking stool for this theme.  For us Chinese, we believe a claypot dish will able to maintain the food warm temperature and best during the cold weather.  Here is my new toy in my kitchen - the claypot!


Braised Tofu is always my favorite but I have not tried it in a claypot and I am confident that it will turn-out good. And, it really does not disappointed us!  From the first bite on the tofu, it was marvelous - you still feel the hotness and juice in it. I am quite certain the tenderness of the tofu because I had deep fried them before hand.  It's really make lots of different.  Beside tofu, I have added some chicken breast meat to enrich the taste of the gravy.  Other ingredients are button mushrooms and vegetables.  

Well, let see whether this One Pot dish will get your attention!


INGREDIENTS

4 pcs tofu, cut into cubes
1/2 carrot, sliced
1/2 cauliflower, cut into small sizes
8-10 snow peas
1 can of button mushroom, halve
5 slices of ginger
3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tbsp cooking oil
Oil for deep fry tofu

300 gm chicken breast meat, cut into cubes  
Marinade chicken meat with: 
1 tbsp of soy sauce 
1 tbsp of oyster sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
A pinch of corn flour

Seasoning:
2 cups of water
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 1/2 oyster sauce
(Mix all the above)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper

Optional: Corn starch
1 tbsp corn flour
2-3 tbsp water


DIRECTIONS
1. Heat-up a wok of water to blanch all vegetables  (cauliflower, carrot & snow peas).  This step is remove  the raw taste, so that it will blend in well with tofu.

2. Heat-up oil and deep fry the tofu until golden brown and crispy.


3. Heat-up claypot with 1 tbsp cooking oil, saute sliced ginger and chopped garlic until fragrant.

4. Add in marinated chicken breast cubes and stir fry.

5. Pour in the combination of seasoning of soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce and water.  Cover-up and let it simmer in a medium heat for about 10 minutes.

6. Add in other ingredients - button mushrooms

7. Add in fried tofu

8. Add in vegetables

9. Add in salt and ground pepper.

10. Let it simmer for another 10-15 minutes.

11. Let it simmer for another 10-15 minutes.  If you like the gravy to be thicker, you may add in the corn starch water

12. This hot claypot braised tofu is ready to serve.  Enjoy!






Don't forget to check-out what recipe of others #SundaySupper members has to share with you for this Fall and the coming Winter.

“Take the chill off” Chilis, Soups, and Starters

“Put meat on your bones” Stews

“Make room for seconds” Main Dishes

“Can’t say no” Desserts

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

36 comments:

  1. After my many years of living in KL and Singapore, I love anything cooked in a claypot! What wonderful flavors were simmering on your stove, Faye! I'll take two bowls, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faye, Your braised tofu looks soooo good. In Japan we have very similar claypots which are very pretty - just like yours. Thank you for sharing your recipe =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fall in love with the claypot dishes now....I will continue to invent more recipe from it.

      Delete
  3. What a flavor packed dish! I love all the gorgeous veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a delicious dish. I love the quick cooking time and all of the veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I have never had tofu, but I think if I had it in your dish I would love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try this recipe for a start. Thank you Jennifer.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful dish full of healthy wonderfulness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to dive right into your pot! One of the reasons why I never get these dishes at restaurants is because they usually use soft tofu and I still haven't gotten that texture down yet in things besides pudding. However fried tofu? Get in my mouth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make a different by frying the tofu before you combine with others ingredients.

      Delete
  8. I have always wanted to get a clay pot. I love this dish with braised tofu. I bet even without using a clay pot it will turn out wonderful but seriously i need to get my hands on one for my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, don't wait....get one and try out you favourite dish with it.

      Delete
  9. This seems like a very comforting, flavorful, healthy dinner! I would love a bowl of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Laura! This is perfect especially during this cold weather.

      Delete
  10. Never had a meal from a clay pot. Your recipe looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never knew braised tofu was fried - good to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, you have a choice to fry or not too but I prefer to fry it. Glad to add in a choice for you too.

      Delete
  12. Wow....this looks so comforting! My kids would love this dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy, am sure this dish is suitable for everyone at home!

      Delete
  13. I'd like to try using clay pot cooking. I've made oven casseroles in clay hand-molded dishes though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I've been wanting to buy a claypot for sometime but now I need to buy it even more!Love your recipe and I love everything about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't wait Soni, go get one now. You won't regret to have it!

      Delete
  15. This is a perfect harvest meal, loving those fresh peas and carrots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam, those vegetables also has add on colors in the pot!

      Delete
  16. Came across your blog. This looks like something I've gotta try! Can't wait, gonna go buy the ingredients tonight :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pinktini! Happy trying and please let me know the outcome ya.

      Delete