Sunday 20 January 2013

Old Fashioned Pork Chops #SundaySupper


This weekend #SundaySupper theme is all about "Retro Recipes", to bring back food memories that you had enjoyed during those days.......  It can be from your family members or any others.  I have chosen Old Fashioned Pork Chops.  It wasn't from my home's kitchen but it from a restaurant with classic or retro design that I visited with a bunch of my high school leavers class-mates during the 80's in the city of Kuala Lumpur.  I remembered they serves wonderful Pork Chop.  As we are staying about 40 km away from the city, we spent about an hour plus in a public transport (those days bus) to reach the city for our farewell gathering.

The taste of the pork chop is still fresh in my memory.  The pork chop is pan-fried style instead of deep-frying which was the popular at that time.  Even though the presentation is not that pretty, but when I first bite on the pork chop, I thought I have fallen in love with it, especially the mushrooms gravy on top, it just marvelous.  All of us enjoyed the food and the day very much.  

So, when I see Isabel posted this week event, I thought it was time to go back to old-fashioned cooking method - pan frying pork chop.  I season and coated the pork chops with a thin all purpose flour for about 3 hours, fully covered in the fridge before I fry.  As both me and hubby like half moist chop, its turned out just perfect for us.  My hubby even don't need the gravy and eat them up together with some mix veggies and peas.  As for the preparation - this no-fuss, easy method and you will get a beautifully browned old-fashioned pork chop for weekend or weekday supper.  Enjoy!


INGREDIENTS

2 boneless pork chops (chop between 3/4 and 1 inch thick are best for this recipe)
To marinate with the followings:
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp cajun
1/2 tsp thyme leaves
1/2 salt
1/2 ground black pepper
200 gm all purpose flour

To fry with:
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil

Mushrooms sauce:
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 cup sliced button mushrooms
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup of corn starch
1/2 tsp of ground black pepper
A pinch of salt

Sidelines:
6-10 honey peas
100 gm of mix vegetables

(The above are for 2 servings)

DIRECTIONS

1.   Season both sides of the chops with the spice mixture as mentioned above.  Once done,
      coat the pork
 chops in the all purpose flour (a thin layer will do).  Covered and fridge for
      about 3 hours.

2.   Heat-up 2 tbsp of butter and add in 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan and add pork chops.  Fry
      the pork chops, flips chops until it turns brown or as you desire.  Cover, reduce heat to
      medium and cook about 10 minutes.

3.    Once chops done, transfer to platter.

4.    Sauce preparing.  Sliced button mushrooms and minced garlic.

5.   Heat-up 1 tsp of butter in a pan skillet.  Saute garlic until brown, add in sliced button
      mushrooms.  Add in chicken broth and later corn starch, ground black pepper and salt
      and cook for few minutes.

6.   Once done, pour sauce on top of pork chops.

7.   Once done, pour sauce on top of pork chops.  Garnish with honey peas and mix
       vegetables or any other greens you desire.  Serve and enjoy your meal!






Check-out the rest of the #SundaySupper members Retro-Recipes:

Sunday Supper Retro Appetizers:
Sunday Supper Retro Salads:
Sunday Supper Retro Breads and Sandwiches:
SundaySupper Main Dishes:
Sunday Supper Retro Sides and Veggies:
Sunday Supper Retro Desserts and Cocktails:

50 comments:

  1. Pork chops are certainly a dear childhood memory and your post has me tempted to recall those recipes =)

    BTW, Faye, your photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Kim! Glad the pork chop has brought back your childhood memories.

      Delete
  2. I thought of porkchops and applesauce! lol Yours looks so good! I never seen pork chops look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, those porkchops look amazing...and that sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mushroom sauce looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mouth is watering just looking at this fat chop - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha....its really filling after finished the whole piece! Thank you Heather!

      Delete
  6. I wish we had porkchops like this growing up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never too late now, Sarah. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  7. Those pork chops are beauties!! Love the light sauce!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought it match perfectly with pork too! Thank you Tara!

      Delete
  8. Yum! My mama made something similar when I was a kid....but she cooked hers in a gravy made from cream of mushroom soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must try the gravy from the creamy mushroom soup, Wendy:) Thank you very much!

      Delete
  9. Oh yum!! What a great recipe. We had just plain pork chops growing up, nothing as good as this. I wish this was my dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please go make a set for yourself and your family tonight:). The sauce really does a difference.

      Delete
  10. That looks really good. I'm a huge fan of mushroom gravy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather, I love those mushroom gravy too...

      Delete
  11. The marinate sounds so great Faye, and that plump pork chop looks delicious! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paula, is my first experience and it turned out good :)

      Delete
  12. That crispy pork chop with that delicious sauce is calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very artfully presented dish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness I just want to reach into my computer screen and eat this. Those pork chops looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the idea of a mushroom sauce over pork chops! I haven't done it that way, but this looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it out, Brandie. It really taste good!

      Delete
  16. As much as I love pork chops, I rarely cook it - it never tastes as good to me as when I go out and order it in a restaurant. That said, it's one of my 2013 foodie goals to conquer cooking a good pork chop so I can't wait to tackle your recipe - this looks phenomenal, especially with that droolworthy mushroom sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see your pork chop soon, Nancy! I am sure you can do a great job on it! Thanks so much.

      Delete
  17. Pork chops were almost a weekly thing when I was growing up. My dad would pan fry them but he didn't make the gravy to go with it. I like the extra seasonings and gravy you have with your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renee, those seasonings really does make a difference on the taste.

      Delete
  18. Oh yum, so delicious sounding & looking. We - especially my DH - like pork chop a lot. Thank you for sharing :) ~ Bea

    ReplyDelete
  19. OK. I have no idea why I have never paired mushrooms with pork. I need to try this! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it taste great with the mushrooms sauce. Try it out and thank you!

      Delete
  20. Wow...looks very yummy...:-)


    Helen
    http://myworldmyhome2012.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  21. One of my very favorite meals growing up was pork chops in the slow cooker. I'm pretty sure my mom tossed them in with a can of mushrooms and can of cream of mushroom soup and served over potatoes or rice. It was so good! I love that your recipe looks just as wonderful and has real food - not canned!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I should try your mom's way of cooking pork chop ya:D Thanks so much for sharing with me, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I found your recipe on Pinterest for the pork chops...I cooked them tonight( I made just a few variations because I didn't have a couple of ingredients in my pantry) and they turned out delicious! I love the little crust on the pork chop- delish! And the mushroom sauce- yum! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comments, Maureen. Am glad you like it. You are just like me, love the feeling of the crust on the chop. Thanks again!

      Delete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete