Sunday 13 January 2013

Coconut Curry Chicken Soup #SundaySupper 1st Birthday Celebration


Happy New Year to everyone!  I am super excited with this post as its celebrate so many "FIRST":

  • The 1st post of the year of 2013
  • The 1st post using my brand new kitchen
  • The 1st post of #SundaySupper for 2013 and the
  • To celebrate the 1st #SundaySupper Birthday
Thank you very much to #SundaySupper for this wonderful event this weekend that have motivated me to on track into my kitchen after a long break since my last post on last 19 December.    The new house was still in the mess when we moved in on the 31 December but we were glad that we managed to celebrate the New Year in our new house.  Now that is almost eight percent settled down.......hmmmm.....is time for me to get back into the kitchen and need some time to get use to it!

This week is #SundaySupper celebrating its 1st Birthday Bash!  It was eight months ago since I joined this big family.  I learned and gained a lot knowledge from this wonderful group of people.  A big thank you to Isabel Foodie of Family Foodie, the founder of this group.  I fully agreed of what she said - "Food Brings People Together"!  I also wish to take this opportunity to a mentor that assigned by Isabel to take care of me when I am still new in the group - Paula Montenegro of  Vintage Kitchen and also the rest of you too.  Thank you for all the supports and great memories for all this while and I love all of you AND Happy Birthday to #SundaySupper!

In conjunction with the 1st Birthday celebration this week by choosing one of the recipes from contributors of #SundaySupper.  I have chosen Coconut Curry Chicken Soup inspired by Chung-Ah of Damn Delicious.  

I always have a thought that making Curry Soup will take so many steps to prepare but Chung-Ah's recipe has proven me wrong and has stimulated me to try it on.  

I have made the curry soup extracted with more Malaysian style, which we called as "Curry Laksa".  I am not even have used the Thai Curry Paste but I have also added in with  chili paste and cayenne pepper (chili powder) to make the taste curry taste stronger.  I have also substitute the tofu with the popular ingredient in Malaysia - Fried Tofu Puff, which turn out great as its fully absorbed in the curry soup.  Once ready, serve with some cooked chili paste with fresh lime juice, love it!

There are so many different recipes of curry soup but I love this one as it is not so complicated and easy to prepare.  And, this recipe is absolutely perfect for those in the cold and chill weather!


INGREDIENTS

Curry Soup:
3 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp minced shallots
1 packet of Thai curry paste (about 180 -200 gm)
200 gm of coconut milk
2 cups of chicken stock
2 cups of shredded chicken breast meat
1 packet of fried tofu puff (contains 12 pieces)
2 tbsp lime juice
1/2 tbsp sugar
Some salt to taste
Sliced green and red peppers or jalapenos to garnish

1 packet of vermicelli noodles

Chicken stock:
1/2 chicken, cut into big piece and separate the breast 
2 onions, diced

(The above serve 4-6)


DIRECTIONS

1.   Chicken stock preparation.  Bring a  pot of boiled water add in pieces chicken and onions
      and simmer for at least half an hour.  Drained out chicken meat and onions.

2.   Cook the vermicelli noodles separately by, omitting salt and oil. Drain.  Divide them in
       separate bowls.

3.   In a separate pot or wok, heat-up oil and sauteed minced shallots until it turn brown.
      Add in curry paste, chili paste and chili powder, chicken stock, lime juice, sugar and salt.
      You may add in more chicken stock and let it simmer for about 5-10 minutes.

4.   Add in shredded chicken and also those chicken pieces, fried tofu puff and let it cook for
      another 5 minutes.


5.   Add in coconut milk and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.


5.   Ladle the soup into each bowl enough to cover to noodles and garnish with sliced green
       and red peppers or jalapenos.

5.   Serve with cooked chili paste and fresh lime.  Enjoy!



Let's check out total of 52 recipes to celebrate #SundaySupper 1st Birthday!


Sunday Supper Appetizers:
 Sunday Supper Soups and Breads:
 Sunday Supper Main Dishes: 
Sunday Supper Veggies: 
Sunday Supper Desserts and Snacks: 
 Sunday Supper Breakfast Faves:
Sunday Supper Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog

61 comments:

  1. Your dish reminds me of the oh-so satisfying curry rice and sobas I grew up with in Japan. Thank you, Faye, for your step-by-step instructions and photos which do make your wonderful coconut curry chicken soup seem very do-able =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim! Ya, agree with you how tasty it is if the curry serve with rice and also thank you for reminding on the soba....my favorite too!

      Delete
  2. Yum! I love just about anything with a curry. This soup sounds so comforting, and perfect for this cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, you'll have full satisfaction when you enjoy this soup in a cold weather. Thank you Erin!

      Delete
  3. This looks so very good, never had tofu puffs before. I love all the flavors in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so honored that your first 2013 post was part of our #SundaySupper celebration. We love having you in our group and your recipes are so inspiring... this one looks amazing! Thank you for everything that you do to make #SundaySupper special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honored to be one of #SundaySupper members too, Isabel! Thanks again for all your guidance.

      Delete
  5. I may need this now! This is so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful soup! Nice to see your adaption with the Malaysian influence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea substituting regular tofu with Malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  8. This soup sounds wonderful and I love anything with curry, so I don´t know why I don´t cook this type of recipes more often! It´s been a pleasure mentoring you, though you didn´t need much help... Have a great week Faye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, you are just like me - a curry lover too! Thank you for everything!

      Delete
  9. Congrats on all your "firsts!" I love your stove. Your soup looks lovely, too. I am very drawn to soups and stews this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Conni! That's actually my brand new stove, user-friendly. Is raining season over these few days, so the soup just fit-in.

      Delete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous soup!!I love all the flavors and woud really enjoy a big bowl full of this :) Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Soni! A big full bowl might not good enough :D

      Delete
  11. Looks and sounds absolutely delish !!! Yummm ! Very pretty pics ! So glad you joined #SS after some time. I must try this version !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sunithi! Glad to back on track and bump with all of you too!

      Delete
  12. I love curry anything--this is definitely going on my to try list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard of tofu puffs. Looks interesting, and the soup looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess tofu puffs only available in Asian Countries. Thank you Brianne!

      Delete
  14. Congrats on the new house!! how great! and I really LOVE what you did here . . wow!!! I am so making this, I love Asian food recipes and soups, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alice! The house is not 100% ready yet....need some time to settle down. Glad you like Asian soups, will make it more often..:D

      Delete
  15. Mmm, this soup looks super flavorful. Yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I keep meaning to try a curry soup because it is a favorite at my local restaurant but never get around to it. This recipe is just the one to inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it, Kris! Try it out, I promise you will love it very much!

      Delete
  17. This looks positively fantastic! I love the flavors of Thai curries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martin....welcome to the group of Thai food lovers!

      Delete
  18. This looks and sounds sooooo good. Chung-Ah definitely has some good dishes coming out of her kitchen! I need to add this to my list of to-make recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! Agree with you, Chung-Ah really have loads of fantastic recipes. Let me know the outcome after your trial!

      Delete
  19. the tofu puff addition is great! mom loves coconut curry, this is an awesome twist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, is time to cook curry for you mom during this cold season to warm her up. Thank you.

      Delete
  20. Welcome back to blogging, Seet Fei! I've missed your posts. I chose one of Chung Ah's dishes to make for this week too - she makes such awesome stuff. This coconut curry soup looks amazing! I love everything you put in it, especially the tofu. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouragement, Nancy! Will visit you soon!

      Delete
  21. This looks so warming! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks like one amazing soup!!! The tofu puffs looks so intriguing - yum!!!

    Enjoy your new home & Happy New Year to you :) ~ Bea @ galactopdx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bea! Those tofu puffs are really good. Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  23. What a lovely soup! And with such interesting ingredients - fried tofu puffs! I love a good curry and this is such a nice dish. Don't you love that warm and fuzzy feeling of a new kitchen? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lyn! I do love my new kitchen, just need some time to get use to it:-)

      Delete
  24. Mmmmmmm it is so cold here in Washington and a big bowl of this would be the perfect way to warm up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a perfect soup for cold weather! Thank you Bobbi!

      Delete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like the taofo puff especially when it soaked with the curry soap. When you first bite the taofoo puff you feel the juicy squeezes out in your mouth, the minute when your mouth fills with those curry juice; you are the happiest person follows when you swallow them...... is heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same feeling on my first bite on the taofo puff:-) Will make more often for you.

      Delete
  27. Oh my goodness! I have never in my life seen anything more pretty and delicous! I love love love coconut soup. I am making this like really soon. Need to make it. Great recipe Chung ah and SeetFei. I wish I would have seen this earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! It's really taste fabulous! Thanks for Chung Ah inspiration.

      Delete
  28. You are making me so homesick with this lovely curry laksa! Our family lived in KL for 10 years, just left a year ago last month and we miss it soooo much. Your laksa is beautiful and, now, I'll have to make some.

    We also visited KK a couple of times and loved your beautiful little city. My husband and daughters climbed Mount Kinabalu even! Of course, i waited for them in town. I'm not crazy!

    Wishing you much joy in this Chinese New Year! Gong Xi Fa Cai!

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Stacy! Glad my curry has reminded you on Malaysian food. Let me know if you visit KK again, maybe we could meet up and thank you very much for you early wishes. Gong Xi Fa Cai to you too!

      Delete
  29. Welcome to Sunday Supper, Faye! Your soup is gorgeous...and I know it must taste marvelous as well!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Lizzy! Glad to get back to Sunday Supper too!

      Delete