Sunday 5 August 2012

Julia's Chicken Salad #CookForJulia #SundaySupper


I am super exciting with this week #SundaySupper!  This week #SundaySupper is celebrating Julia Child's 100th Birthday.  Hosted by one of #SundaySupper family members - Samantha from The Little Ferraro Kitchen.  Thanks to Samantha's great idea, that have made me to get to know more about this legend.

After reading all about Julia, am so fascinated with her enthusiastic spirit to learn French  cuisine - from enrolling in cooking and French classes up to talking to the fish mongers, bakers and fruit sellers.  And from there on, she has addicted and how she begins with her food life.  

“Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it.” ― Julia Child.  I guess this is one of most fundamental requirement for every successful story.

After gone through few pages on the her web of her recipes, I came to realize that Julia not only a Master in French Food, I was amazed to see some Chinese recipes from her too!  Instead of Chinese food which are my familiar, I have choose a simple making dish - Chicken Salad, one of the recipes pick-up from Jacques & Julia: Cooking at Home Recipes, a favorite American cook show.  Salad is always our favorite.  I always aim for recipe that cater home cooking, so that I can share around the Family Table!


Ingredients
300gm of chicken breast, cut up into cube sizes
2 tsp of salt
2 tsp of ground white pepper
2 tbsp of olive oil
2 - 3 tbsp of lemon juice
1 cup of diced tender celery
1/2 cup diced big onion
30gm of chopped walnuts/almond/hazelnut
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 tsp finely cut fresh tarragon leaves (or 1/4 tsp dried tarragon)
3 - 4 tbsp of mayonnaise
Fresh salad greens, washed and drained
For decoration:
Choice of sliced or chopped hard-boiled eggs, parsley sprigs, strips of red pimiento or tomatoes.

Directions
  • Cook the chicken cubes in a pot of boiled water until cooked and drain it from the pot.
  • Toss the chicken with salt, pepper, olive oil, lemon juice, celery, onion and the nuts.
  • Cover and refrigerate at least 20 minutes or overnight.
  • Take out the chicken from fridge, toss with parsley and tarragon (up to your taste).
  • Fold in just enough mayonnaise.
  • Cut or shred the salads, arrange on the platter, and mound the salad on top.
  • Spread some mayonnaise coat over the chicken and decorate with eggs, parsley, pimiento strips or tomatoes.


















Join us this week Around the Family Table for #SundaySupper with these fabulous recipes being showcased.  This is a #SundaySupper you don’t want to miss!
#CookForJulia Breakfast
Râpée Morvandelle by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings 
Croissants by Cookistry 
Cheese and Bacon Quiche by Tora’s Real Food
#CookForJulia Lunch
Tuna Salad Nicoise by Magnolia Days 
Potato and Onion Soup (Potage Parmentier) by Shockingly Delicious 
Blood Orange, Walnut, and Rocket Salad by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking 
Croque Monsieur by Webicurean
Spinach and Cream Cheese Pancakes by Happy Baking Days 
Julia’s Chicken Salad by My Trials in the Kitchen 
Pissaladière Niçoise (Onion Tart with Anchovies and Black Olives) by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Provencal Tomato Quiche by Are you hungry?
Quiche Lorraine  Spoon and Saucer 
#CookForJulia Dinner
Boeuf Bourguignon by Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
Orecchiette Con Broccoli Di Rape and Sausages by Doggie at the Dinner Table 
Boeuf Bourguignon by Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
Veal Stew with Onions and Mushrooms with Baked Cucumbers and Boiled Potatoes (Blanquette de veau a l’ancienne with concombres au buerre) by Kimchi Mom
Salmon en Papillote by Girlichef
Poached salmon with cucumber sauce by Katherine Martinelli
Lobster Souffle and Deviled Chicken- Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends 
Roasted Chicken with Julia’s Mustard Marinade by The Meltaways
Wild Mushroom and Herb Stuffed Chicken- Mama Mommy Mom
Puree of White Beans with Garlic and Herbs (Brandade á la Soissonaise) Avocado Pesto
Julia’s Kunming Connection: Chinese Steampot Chicken- by My Kitchen and I
Poulet au Porto by Family Foodie 
#CookForJulia Sides
Hollondaise over Blanched Asparagus by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
Scalloped Potatoes with Milk, Cheese, and Garlic (Gratin Dauphinois) by Home Cooking Memories 
Ratatouille by Basic N Delicious 
French-style country pate by There and Back Again
White Bean Dip with Homemade Tortilla Chips Momma’s Meals
Oeufs à la Diable by What Smells So Good?
Soubise by The Weekend Gourmet
Ratatouille by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
#CookForJulia Desserts
Cream Cheese and Lemon Flan by Juanita’s Cocina
Strawberry Sherbert in Cooky Cups by Cravings of a Lunatic
Creme Brulee by Wine Everyday
Mousseline Au Chocolat by Small Wallet Big Appetite
Peach Tarte Tatin by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Cinnamon Toast Flan by Vintage Kitchen Notes
Dark Chocolate Crepes by Family Spice
Crepes Fines Sucrees by Mangoes and Chutney
Pommes Rosemarie:Apples Rosie  The Daily Dish Recipes
Espresso Soufflé by Chocolate Moosey
Best Ever Brownies by In the Kitchen with Audrey
Orange-Almond Jelly Roll Cake by Mrs. Mama Hen
Orange Spongecake Cupcakes by Mama’s Blissful Bites
Orange Mousse with Greek Yogurt by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Frozen Chocolate Mousse Pops by Big Bears Wife
Wine Pairings by: Martin Redmond Relishing Food and Wine; Thanks to Julia Child! by ENOFYLZ


















43 comments:

  1. I love tarragon and this is a great dish for it. Thank you so much for sharing it today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful colors in your salad. I have a ton of tarragon in my garden so I'm pinning this recipe for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you like it, Heather. How I wish I can plant some too. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  3. Beautifl Seetfei! I love trying different meat salads!
    Cindy's Recipes and Writings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Cindy! Love your Râpée Morvandelle too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely salad! I always love trying new chicken salads and I have to try this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple and delicious! A great chicken salad for summer. Have a nice sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, tarragon is one of my favorite herbs, but for some reason, I can't find it all that often. I always mean to start an herb pot (every year), but time always passes me by and I don't. I know I'd love this dish - it sounds and looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem to find it too, finally got it got it after running for few places. Glad that you like it! Thank you Heather.

      Delete
  8. This is a truly lovely salad, it makes me so hungry! Nice job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great to see that Julia Child featured healthy salad among her decadent meals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she does and this is one of the reasons I choose this recipe! Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  10. This salad looks amazing! What beautiful photography. I love that you are part of our #SundaySupper's and love your beautiful blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Isabel. Is my first salad posting. Am blessed to be one of the members of #SundaySupper!

      Delete
  11. I don't know how I never realized Julia had a chicken salad recipe!! I loved it as a kid and miss it now on occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks pretty amazing and I bet it tastes even better the next day! Beautiful presentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Amy. This is what I did, leave it in the fridge overnight and proven tastier! Thanks for dropping by:)

      Delete
  13. WOW Seetfei What a beautiful salad! Chicken is THE best meat for salads if you ask me and with tarragon too, it's no wonder Julia is so loved :)

    Have a glorious Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fully agreed with you Kathy! Chicken is still the best meat when match with salads. You have a great day too!

      Delete
  14. Looks tasty. I love that it's not drenched in mayo like some chicken salads can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did in purpose because I am not fancy for too many mayo on the salad. Have a great day Lane!

      Delete
  15. So yummy. I adore chicken salad anytime of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We Americans think everyone knows who Julia Child is. I'm glad you got to know her for this post. And the salad looks wonderful. I can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to #SundaySupper that made me to know who is Julia Child, appreciate it. Thanks so much Linda!

      Delete
  17. Wow this if fantastic. I love this salad. It's such a classic. Great SS choice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely ! Love the step by step pics !!! Love that it has nuts in it. Will spice up the salad am sure. Will make this sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practice make perfect....i hope more improvement from there. Thanks so much for dropping by Sue!

      Delete
  19. looks so good faye... but since i am a vegetarian probably should change the main ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra, maybe you want to substitute the main ingredient with more hard boil eggs? How about that? Thank you for your visit!

      Delete
  20. I love a good chicken salad! This one has a great mix of textures!

    Jamie @ www.mamamommymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have to thank my husband for all the good photography, thank you for your comment and visit!

    ReplyDelete