Sunday 29 July 2012

Radish & Carrot Chicken Soup



It's been for weeks we have not making or boiling any soup for our meals due to our busy schedule.  Simon has reminded me by telling me he missed soup.  He is a big fan of any types of soup.  I was actually cracking my head thinking what type of soup that suitable for us, as both of us just recovered from our fever and cough, and worse, I am not prepared for any.  I went for a check in my fridge and see what can I do from there.  The radish and carrots catches my eyes, and happens I have just bought chicken from the fresh mart this morning.  And here it goes - Radish and Carrot Chicken Soup!

I love soup too!  For me soup is a type of comfort food.  This soup is common in the Chinese society and is so easy to prepare.  It's a delicious and yet nourishing soup and taste good too. Not only that, the combination of radish and carrots is known to assist and to improve your digestion, especially radish is good for blood detoxification.  I have also added in with red dates which are rich with fiber and much needed minerals and energy to help you stay fit and healthy!

Ingredients

1 Carrot (about 200gm or more), cut into large chunks or slices
1 Radish , also cut into large chunks or slices
300gm of chicken or pork meat, cut into medium size pieces 
10 Red Dates, soak and wash
700 - 800 ml water for soup
500 ml water separately for blanching the meat
Some salt for taste





























Directions

Boil the 500 ml water in pot.  Put in the chicken or pork meat for blanch for 2 to 3 minutes.
Remove the meat and discard the water.
Boil the 700 ml water in a clean pot.  Add in the meat, radish, carrot and red dates.  
Once it has boiled, use low heat and let it simmer for about 2 to 3 hours until to your desired taste.
Add in salt as desired before serve.



6 comments:

  1. Looks very healthy. I love soup like this, with pieces of meat and veg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! You are just like me, like the combination of meat and vege. Thank you for dropping by:)

      Delete
  2. This soup sounds delicious. I love soups too. Is that the large white daikon radish that you used? Those are tasty but sometimes hard to find here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzi, you are right, that's the large white daikon radish. For us in Malaysia, have no problem to find it. Is an all season vegetable. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  3. can red radish substitute for daikon in chicken soup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yankee, you may try it. I guess it will turn up well.

      Delete