We always like roast chicken, it's easy to prepare and the most fun is we can come out with lots of ideas of the flavors with varieties of herbs, spices, vegetables, etc. This time round, I would like to try with citruses - oranges and lemons.
I prefer the roasted chicken flavor to be heavier, I had marinated the chicken for about an hour but you may leave it even longer or even over night. If you make it on the spot, the taste of the flavor still great. You just need to leave the chicken in the oven for an hour and you will able to enjoy a great tender chicken with tantalizing citrus and herbs flavor.
This Citrus Roasted Chicken perfect to go with either salad, potatoes even white rice. Hope you all will like it!
4 to 6 pcs of chicken legs (you may choose chicken drumsticks too), pat dry
1/4 cup olive oil
6 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp sugar, I used brown soft sugar
2 whole lemons, 1 juiced and 1 sliced
2 whole oranges, 1 juiced and 1 sliced
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili flakes
1 medium size of onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp dried rosemary
Some fresh thyme
Some fresh rosemary
Some parsley for garnishing (optional)
Some salt and fresh ground pepper to your desire taste
1. Preheat oven to 250 Celsius degree.
2. In a bowl or a measurement bowl, mix olive oil, the juices with all the dried herbs & spices, salt and ground pepper. Mix well.
3. Place the chicken in a baking dish, skin side up and spread evenly in the pan.
4. Pour the olive oil mixtures all over the chicken, turn all the pieces to ensure all sides are coated.
5. Arrange slices of lemon, orange and onion under and around the chicken.
6. Sprinkle some fresh thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
7. Bake uncovered for about an hour or until the chicken is cooked.
8. Transfer chicken to serving platter and garnish with chopped fresh herbs. Enjoy!