The Chinese New Year atmosphere is getting stronger now, especially when you are shopping at the market. There are so many seasonal foods or ingredients are available now for this celebration. The one which I won't miss these few years is fried fish maw. Normally, they are pre-packed with three to four pieces in it and it only can be found around this time near the Chinese New Year.
Fried fish maw can come out with so many different types of dishes as it's suitable for making soup, braise, stew or even stir-fry. And today I wish to share with all of you a braised fish maw recipe together with two types of mushrooms - dried Chinese mushrooms and asparagus mushrooms. This braised mushroom with fish maw is cooked over low heat for almost an hour given you flavorful gravy, especially the fish maw that easily absorbed gravy in it.
This is a very simple and easy to prepare recipe, am sure everyone can make this dish. Give a try and you will love it!
For those who prefer to make Fish Maw Soup, please click on the link, which I had shared the recipe before. Happy Cooking!
100g fish maw, soaked for an hour
8 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked until softened
1 can of
asparagus mushrooms, discard the liquid
3 cloves of garlic, smashed
4 slices of ginger, thinly slice
2 sprig of spring onion, cut into 1 inch length
3 cups of low sodium chicken stock
2tbsp cooking oil
2tbsp oyster sauce
2tbsp soy sauce
1tbsp Shao-Xing cooking wine
Salt to taste
1. Soak the fish maw, Chinese dried mushrooms in separate bowls of cold water until tender.
2. In a pot, boil water with
few slices of ginger. Add the fish maw and boil for few minutes. This is to help the fish maw become softer and to clear the remaining fishiness smell.
3. Remove the fish maw from boiling water and cut into 1-inch long pieces. Place those cut fish maw back into a bowl of cold water. Drain when ready to cook.
4. Heat-up oil in a pot or wok, saute garlic, ginger and spring onion until aromatic. Add in soaked and drained Chinese mushrooms, cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Add in the drained fish maw and the
asparagus mushrooms, cook another 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Add in chicken stock, cover the lid and bring to boil on high heat. Once boiling, turn to low heat and simmer for an hour.
7. In the last 20 minutes, add in all seasoning ingredients and continue to simmer for another 20 minutes.
8. Dish out, garnish with spring onion and serve immediately.