During this cold season, I am always craving for comfort food and one-pot soup is one of my regulars from my little kitchen. A hot and sour pot soup is even marvelous! Yes, Thai style Tom Yum Soup that's what's on my mind.
In my this One Pot Tom Yum Soup I had used seafood combinations with two types of mushrooms. It turns out wonderful! If you not fancy of a sour taste in the soup, you may reduce the amount of the lime juice. Same goes to those do not want the soup to be too hot, you may reduce the amount of the bird chilies or the Tom Yum paste.
I only used prawns as my major seafood in this soup as I love the prawns with Tom Yum combinations. You may try to add on with squids, fish or even mussels. As I like the soup to be milky, I had added with evaporated milk instead of coconut milk which is a normal practice. Reason is not wishing the strong taste of the coconut milk to cover the original taste of the Tom Yum soup. This is a very easy to make and the taste is just amazing!
300g fresh prawns, clean, dry and un-shell the middle part
4 tbsp Tom Yum paste
3 stalks lemon grass, sliced
4 stalks coriander roots
12-15 bird chilies
5 shallots, thinly sliced
6 kaffir lime leaves
10 lobster balls (optional)
10 crab rolls (optional)
4 baby sweet corn, sliced
100g oyster mushrooms, peeled into halves
100g enoki mushrooms
6 cups of chicken broth
1 tbsp cooking oil
1/2 cup evaporated milk
3 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp lime juice
1 lime, cut into wedges
Chopped coriander and spring onions
1. Heat-up oil in a pot, saute shallots until fragrant. Add in Tom Yum paste and cook for a minute.
2. Stir in chicken broth. Add in lemon grass, galangal, coriander roots and bird chilies and let it simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Add in all types of seafood (prawns, lobster balls, crab rolls) and continue to boil the soup for another 10 minutes.
4. Add in all mushrooms and baby sweet corns and let it cook to boil.
5. Season the soup, off the heat and stir in evaporated milk. Mix well and dish out and serve immediately.