Sunday 19 August 2012

Stewed Chicken with Beer


This was my first experience cooking with a can of beer.  I am not a beer person nor a wine fancy too.  I was thinking it will be make sense if I use it as one of my cooking ingredients.  The Chinese community usually will use the processed home-made white rice wine to cook chicken together with a large amount of ginger, is a main dish for those ladies during their confinement month to warm their body and health protection.

I believed beer which contains grain, herbs, water and yeast could easily enhance and blend into the flavors of the dish just like wine.  I have chosen the brand "Tiger" as I like the bitter taste of the beer.  If you like sweeter taste, you may go for other brands, is up to your taste of you may cut down the amount instead of putting in the whole can.

I marinade the chicken with ground black pepper and salt for about an hour before cooking.  It has added the complexity and the dept of the dish when its cook together with the beer.  It turns out great and I love it very much and am sure you will like it too!


Ingredients

1/2 chicken , cut into medium size pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
6-8 cloves garlic (with the skin)
1 tbsp of soy sauce
1 can beer
Some cut scallion for garnishing 

Seasoning (to marinade chicken)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground black pepper


Directions
  • Combine chicken with seasoning and marinate for an hour.
  • Heat-up oil, stir-fry garlic until aromatic.  Add chicken and pan-fry until golden brown.
  • Pour in beer, lower the heat and simmer the chicken until well cooked or until the sauce has thickened.
  • Serve when its hot.






4 comments:

  1. Yummy ! I cook with beer a bit, so this is a dish I will try ! Great pics ! looks appetizing !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, I never expect the result is good by using beer. You should try it out.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea to change rice wine for beer! It sounds yummy and your pics are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paula! Is a wise try...I am satisfied with it.

      Delete